1. What is your favorite movie starring William Powell and Myrna Loy, excluding all of The Thin Man films?
I Love You Again
2. Name a screen team that appeared in only one film together but are still noteworthy for how well they complimented each other.
Constance Bennett and Brian Ahern- Merrily We Live
3. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers' best film together?
The Barkleys of Broadway
4. Your favorite actor named "Robert"?
5. An actor/actress who, when you see one of their movies, you always wish that someone else was in his/her role?
I wish I could see how Bette Davis and Joan Crawford would have handled certain roles that helped their careers. Specifically, I would like to see Crawford in All About Eve and Davis in Mildred Pierce. I think either one would still be a fantastic film to watch.6. An actor/actress that someone close to you really loves that you can't stand or vice versa?
Those close to me realize that to say Gwyneth Paltrow is an acting powerhouse is the quickest way to become a non-entity in my life. Slower but justifiable substitutes are Alan Cummings, Linda Fiorentino, and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
7. An actor/actress that you both agree on completely?
Most everyone I know agrees that Kevin Kline, Emma Thompson, and Cate Blanchett are phenomenal actors.
8. Complete this sentence: Virginia O'Brien is to Ethel Merman as...
Spencer Tracy is to Fredric March…is that right? Both are great dramatic actors, displayed wonderful comic genius, and were/are highly regarded in the history of classic cinema as spectacular leading men.
9. What is your favorite film starring Ray Milland?
Dial M for Murder.
10. You had to have seen this one coming: what is your favorite movie of the 1960s?
The Pink Panther. A family favorite.
11. An actor/actress that you would take out of one film and put into a different movie that was released the same year?
Because they are my ever-fluctuating favorites and because Joan Crawford was the queen of the face-slap, I would like to have seen Crawford play Bette Davis’ Kit Marlowe in Old Acquaintance. Davis (who in real life didn’t like Miriam Hopkins) shook Hopkins Millie Drake- Crawford would have taken it to a whole new level- probably Cagney style.
12. Who was your favorite of Robert Montgomery's leading ladies?
Though I love Joan Crawford, my favorite pairing with Montgomery was Norma Shearer and the best movie they ever did together, in my opinion, was Private Lives. The fight scenes are priceless!
13. You think it would have been a disaster if what movie starred the actor/actress who was originally asked to star in it?
Jean Arthur for Gone with the Wind- she was once Selznick’s paramour and was slated up to almost the last moment to be Scarlett O’Hara. Can you imagine? I can’t, I literally cannot. I love her but not for Scarlett.
14. An actor/actress who you will watch in any or almost any movie?
15. Your favorite Leslie Howard film and role?
Pygmalion for both the movie and role.
16. You have been asked to host a marathon of four Barbara Stanwyck films. Which ones do you choose?
Babyface, Sorry Wrong Number, Meet John Doe, and My Reputation- that was hard!
17. What is, in your mind, the nearest to perfect comedy you have ever seen? Why?
18. You will brook no criticism of what film?
19. Who is your favorite Irish actress?
The Major and the Minor- confidentially, I haven’t seen yet but I know I am going to love it.
21. Do you enjoy silent movies?
Some. Especially if they contain John Barrymore or Marion Davies.
22. What is your favorite Bette Davis film?
Sooooo hard! The Little Foxes.
23. Your favorite onscreen Hollywood couple?
William Powell and Myrna Loy
Cagney’s The Public Enemy.
26. You are currently gaining a greater appreciation for which actor(s)/actress(es)?
Spencer Tracy and James Cagney
27. Franchot Tone: yes or no?
No. Good question too. I was just watching him in Man Proof and thinking about how uninteresting he is to me. My normal reaction to most films he’s in.
28. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are underrated?
Joan Blondell, Constance Bennett, Miriam Hopkins, Walter Brennan, Agnes Moorehead, and Geraldine Page.
29. Which actors and/or actresses do you think are overrated?
James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. I am always dubious of people who die young.
30. Favorite actor?
31. Favorite actress?
It changes constantly between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.
32. Of those listed, who is the coolest: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen, or Patrick Stewart?
Well Steve McQueen is known as the King of Cool but my money will always be on Newman.
33. What is your favorite movie from each of these genres:
The Thin Man Series
Closest I have come to a swashbuckler is The Affairs of Cellini.
The Maltese Falcon
Meet Me in St. Louis